Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dutch Lake RV Resort – Clearwater BC






This family camp overlooks Dutch Lake, and the park took us on a stern wheeler ride. It was a real stern wheeler.

The close-up of the tree captures a bald eagle.

I got up early the next morning and found the lake covered with mist, the only sound that of loons. But then the loons’ normally lyrical call became frantic as an eagle swooped toward them and their youngsters. At the last instant the loons would go underwater and the eagle would circle again. This was repeated probably three times while I fumbled to find them in my camera, then the eagle flew away. I could not tell if the eagle had found its breakfast, and I did not know the original loon count. The remaining looms – two adults and two chicks – continued to swim but more rapidly and farther apart, and were no longer singing. You can marginally see them in one of the misty pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment